You Wish You Were Here

Friday, July 07, 2006

Kuta

I took the boat back to the mainland of Bali this morning. I had to stop at the domestic air terminal to get a ticket to fly to Flores tomorrow. This is right next to the Komodo Dragon island. I will be there during the upcoming week to dive and visit the park to see the dragons.

Kuta is the first beach town that sprang up as a surfer hang-out in the late 70s. It is also where the Bali bomings were in 2002. The town is made up to many many alleys/streets called gangs that cars can't really fit down.... just people and lots of motorbikes. I somehow found the hotel I had called from the airport after the taxi had dropped me off as close as possible. My hotel is beautiful with 2 gorgeous pools. Today is a pool day and a "try to figure out this place" day.

After sitting at the pool for a bit, I decided to venture out into the maze of surfers and backpackers. As you walk down the gang you hear "yes, you come into my shop now, lady", "yes, yes." It canbe quite overwhelming. I tried to find a shop for a dive center that I want to visit next week. I managed to find the hotel it is next to and then walk around in circles for about 20min until I felt extreamly stupid and tired of asking people for direcions. So i sat down for lunch and watch a few episodes of Friends that were playing on the TV in the Warung I(small restaurant/cafe) was eating in.

Later I continued to stroll thorugh the alleys and I made my way to the beach. Hawker Central. "you go surfing today, miss" or "you like tattoo" or "you thirsty, dink cola"..... I did have a nice chat with a balanise man about surfing and his "job"--- teaching surfing each day at the beach. For these people it is a constant struggle to make a buck from any tourist that walks by.

I am going back to the pool and resting for my trip tomorrow. I am tired just thinking about finding my way back to the hotel!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home