You Wish You Were Here

Friday, June 30, 2006

Ubud and the Balanise Culture

I took a bus an hour north of Sanur to Ubud: the cultural art center of Bali. It really consists of 4-7 villages that seem like artist colonies that have all merged together. It is in the hills that go up to the mountains. Dispersed thoughout the buildings and shops are rice patties. Rice is one of the biggest crops in Bali. On my stroll through the town(s) I rhear "come look, come look in my chop" and "taxi, trasport, where you going" constantly. One motot bike driver was quite persistant and followed me down the road. He mearly wanted to chat with someone friendly in English so he could better his skills. Gede(almost pronuces gooday) walked with me for a while and through the monkey forest.

The monkey forest is about 10-20 acres of rainforest that is filled with moneys and contains a temple used in Balanize cerimonies. The monkeys are EVERYWHERE. they don't move when you come near them and if they think you have food they will come right up to you. I sat on a step to change my film and a younger money, probably 2 years oldd, came right up to me andcrawled on my leg looking for food. He tried to eat my cammera lense. Well, he did find the fild I had taken out of my bag, snatched it and ran off. People around me were concerned that it was full of picutres--- it was not. I was so upset that the monkey would get sick if he ate the film. Well he had it for about 5-10 min untill a monkey feeder came by to get it. I felt soo bad.

I also took a balanize dance class from a nice woman and great teacher named Happy. It was hard at first, but I eventually got it. She wanted me to practice for the full 2hours I had requested, but I was so tired and sweaty I could only do 1 hour. I then strolled through the rest of town looking at the palace and musicians playing. I saw a group of boys 5-13 playing soccer. I also mistakenly went into the market. IT was amazing, but I could not get out of there without buying something.

Well, I am back at the "bus stop" waiting for my ride back to Sanur. Its raining a little and I am soooo tired. I am, however, very glad I came to this part of Bali, as it was originally not on my "to do" list. I figure a little bit of the cultural stuff can't hurt. Plus I met a great local who I did not have to buy anything from or give any money to!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home